Thursday, January 14, 2016

About me

So today's blog isn't going to be as much about Sudbury schools, or the one I am working at. Instead it is going to be about me as a staff member at this sudbury school, and why I am doing it, and also about the kind of life I am living that is part of working at this sudbury school.

So working at this school, I receive little pay. This seems true for many sudbury schools, and it makes sense given that the schools wish to make it affordable to the students, as well as the schools being often relatively new, like the one I am at now. So for people that haven't need to think about money, or living on their own, taking care of their expenses, working for little money isn't a big deal. Of course it is, because what you can afford to do is limited and so or your choices. For example having little money can prevent you from being able to go on vacation, from picking the foods that you would like to eat, even from being able to have a girlfriend, wife, or start a family. There are many points tied to money. So for me this is a conscious decision I made, that for me to work at this sudbury school, long term, means that I will lack many luxuries and choices. At the moment, fortunately my family is supporting me with a place to stay, and with money for food, etc... So I am definitely not independent, as I am dependent on my family. If I didn't have them, there's no way I could be working at this sudbury school right now. One of my goals is to use the money I earn to support me, and support them in alleviating how much they support me financially.

If I were to try earning enough to live on my own, I would need to find a perfect job, because it would need to complement the hours that I work at the school, while also earning enough that I could actually realistically live. In the world of today, that is going to be very difficult. Of course my goal is to take baby steps to that point, since I am basically searching for ways to make my situation work.

People may not know this by looking at me, well maybe they do, I don't know, but I could have made the choice to be an engineer, psychologist or other professional. But I didn't, because there is a part of me, that wants to make my life really count, because I would in truth, just being doing those professions for the money, and not to change the world. And for me, there is something about me that needs to be here, at this school, because I see it as part of the grander solution that society needs.

So I am choosing this life I am living on purpose. I am happy with what I am doing. This is what give me meaning and purpose in life. For other people, it may mean having fun, traveling, earning money, having a family etc... For me it is supporting others in their changes and development to be the best they can be, which is what I see sudbury schools as doing by giving individuals the opportunity to create themselves, support themselves, get to know themselves, on as deep as level as they wish to go. I genuinely enjoy watching someone learn, explore, create, understand, and communicate. I could watch that all day. I do see my role as valuable, where I am simply there. For me, that is something important that I didn't know as a child until someone wasn't there. Being there, and committing to be there, consistently, day in and day out is very important. It makes the difference.

So all in all, I am right where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment